A History of Mülheim: Chronological Table

883/884 The beginning of Broich Castle. It was built to protect the people against the Vikings.
1093 A line of noblemen lived here. Their court was first documented in this year. The parish church of St. Peter's already exists.
1214 The convent in Saarn is built.
1511 Mülheim belongs to the dukedom of Berg.
1774-1780 Frederik the Great, King of Prussia, orders to make the river Ruhr wider for shipping.
1808 Mülheim becomes a town with nearly 5,000 inhabitants.
1840 The coal-mine in Dümpten is the biggest one in the Ruhr district.
1846 The town area is divided into Broich, Styrum, Mülheim Country and Mülheim Town.
1847/48 The first ironworks in Mülheim ("Friedrich-Wilhelm-Hütte") are built.
1850 The Ruhr is the busiest river in Europe.
1908 Mülheim is a big city with more than 100,000 inhabitants.
1912 First in Berlin and then in Mülheim an institute for coal research is founded. It is now called "Max-Planck-Institut."
1929 The villages of Selbeck and Ickten belong to Mülheim.
1943 Air raid on Mülheim, a lot of the town centre is destroyed.
1966 The last coal-mine is closed.
1975 Mintard, the youngest district, belongs to Mülheim
1998 The Ruhr tram tunnel is opened. It goes under the river Ruhr.